Comforting Chilli Con Carne
Comfort food is the order of the day at the moment. And this versatile recipe is just the thing for those moments when you feel motivated to batch cook! Have it on a jacket potato for a light but hearty lunch, with rice for a tea-time winner or slathered over hot dogs to take your BBQ cook-offs to new heights!
What You’ll Need
1 large onion (diced)
1 red pepper (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp hot chilli powder (less if you like it mild)
1tsp ground cumin
500g minced beef
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
2tbsp tomato puree
1 can of red kidney beans
Long grain rice (to serve)
- Add the oil to the pan and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Tip in the onions and cook, stirring often, until slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, chilli powder, paprika and cumin and stir. Then leave for around 5 minutes to infuse, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook until brown.
- Make up your beef stock cube with 300ml of hot water, then add to the pan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and season well followed by tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and leave gently bubble for around 20 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from catching.
- Drain the kidney beans, then add to the chilli, leaving again for another 10 minutes. If the chilli starts to dry out, add a little bit of water.
- Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.