Comforting Cottage Pie
There really is nothing better than home-made cottage pie on a winter’s day, why not take a look at this simple recipe and try it for yourself!
- 1 ¼ kg minced beef
- 1 ¾ kg chopped potatoes
- 25g butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml red wine
- 850ml beef stock
- 225ml milk
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 3 chopped carrots
- 3 chopped celery sticks
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 200g grated cheddar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Grated nutmeg
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pan, add the beef and fry until browned, then set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan, and add the onions, carrots, and celery to cook until soft.
- Add the garlic cloves, flour, and tomato puree, cook for a few minutes, and then add the beef to the pan.
- If you’re using the wine, add it now and boil to reduce it slightly, then add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for around 45 minutes, season well and discard the bay leaves and thyme.
- Simmer the potatoes in a large pan of salted water, cook until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, then add the milk, butter, ¾ of the cheese, and season with nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish, add the mash on top and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook for around 30 minutes at 220°C, until the top is golden.
- Serve and enjoy!