Festive Leftover Turkey and Ham Pie
Make the most of your leftovers on Boxing Day with this warming, hearty, deep-filled turkey and ham pie. It’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser! What’s more, to make things extra-easy you can buy the pastry from the shop. We won’t tell a soul!
What you’ll need:
For the filling:
- 600g turkey meat (sliced)
- 600g cooked ham (sliced)
For the sauce:
- 75g butter
- 2 leeks (finely sliced)
- Dried thyme (pinch)
- 75g plain flour
- Cider vinegar (splash)
- 200ml turkey (or chicken) stock
- 250ml double cream
- 3tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp tarragon (chopped)
For the pastry:
- 500g plain flour
- 1/2tsp sage (dried)
- 185g cold butter (cubed)
- 70g suet
- 2 egg yolks
- To make the sauce, gently heat the butter in a saucepan. When melted add the finely sliced leeks and thyme and cook for 13 mins. Stir in the flour and cook until the mixture makes a past. Then, add a splash of cider vinegar and let bubble for a few seconds.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then add cream and simmer. When the sauce has thickened, stir in the mustard, tarragon and turkey. Set aside and leave to cool.
- For the pastry, put the flour, sage and a pinch of salt into a food processor. Then, drop in the suet and butter and process to a fine crumb. While the motor is running, pour in 150ml cold water until the pastry just comes together.
- Layout the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and bring together. Cut around a third of the pastry, cover it and set to one side. Then roll our the rest in around circle and place in an oiled 20cm springform tin.
- Layer the base of the pie with a mixture of ham and turkey, then add a thin layer of sauce. Repeat this until you get to the top of the tin, with the final layer being one of meat, then press down gently.
- Cut away a small ball of pastry from the third you set aside. Roll this out until it is big enough to cover the pie. Brush the edges with egg yolk and seal the edges before crimping the whole way around. To allow steam to escape, cut a small hole in the middle of the pastry, then glaze the top with more yolk.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6. Set the pie in the middle of the oven and bake for 45-50 mins. When the pie is cool enough, remove from the tin and serve.