Glazed Gammon with Cauliflower Cheese
Sure, summery salads are just the thing to pep you up on a warm day. But sometimes we can’t always bank on the weather, even in the midst of summer. And who doesn’t enjoy a bit of comfort food. Out recipe for glazed gammon with rich, indulgent cauliflower cheese is everything you’ve dreamed of for summer comfort food…and a little bit more!
2kg boneless unsmoked gammon joint
1tbsp black peppercons
1 onion (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 bay leaves
For the glaze
2tbsp English mustard
3tbsp light brown soft sugar
For the cauliflower cheese
2 large cauliflowers (cut into florets)
80g plain flour
100ml double cream
250g mature cheddar (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Place the gammon in a deep roasting tin and pour in 1 litre of water. Add the peppercorns, chopped onions, carrots and bay leaves. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water for around 3-4 minutes. Drain well and leave in the colander to steam dry.
- When the ham is cooked, remove from the oil and take off the foil. Leave to cool for a few minutes. Then, strain the liquid from the tin and keep to one side. Remove the string and cut away with the skin and use a knife to score the fat into a diamond pattern.
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour slowly. This should form a paste. Then, add the reserved ham stock swiftly followed by the double cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. Bring to a simmer for around 5 minutes, stirring gently, before removing from the heat and adding the cauliflower and the grated cheese.
- Transfer the cauliflower cheese into a large roasting tin and bake in the oven (220C/200C fan) for 20 mins.
- Finally, heat the grill to medium and nestle the ham into the middle of the cauliflower cheese. Brush the fat with mustard and scatter over the sugar. Grill for 10-15 minutes until he ham is browned and the cauliflower cheese is bubbling and golden.