Good For You Beef Stroganoff
Summer may be a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean our plates have to be bland moving into autumn! Our beef stroganoff recipe is perfect for those colder, darker evenings while not being too heavy on your stomach. It is Christmas soon, after all!
What You’ll Need:
2 x 200g lean rump steaks
10g dried mixed wild mushrooms
1tsp olive oil or low calorie oil spray
1 onion, sliced finely
1tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1tbsp tomato puree
300ml fresh beef stock
2tbsp reduced-fat soured cream
Juice of half a lemon
A generous handful of fresh parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- Begin by taking the dried mushrooms and soaking them in 100ml of boiling water for approx. 10 minutes. Remove from bowl, squeeze out excess water and leave to drain on a clean kitchen towel or kitchen roll. Keep the liquid to one side.
- Then, take the olive oil and butter and place in a non-stick frying pan over a low heat. When melted and warm, add the onion and cook for 10 mins or until softened. Add more water as and when needed to prevent sticking.
- Season the rump steaks generously. Then, place a griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Sear the steaks for 3-4 minutes each side. Place on a warmed plate to rest, then slice into long, thin strips.
- Add the paprika, tomato puree and mushrooms to the onions and cook for 2 mins. Then, add the reserved water from the mushrooms, along with 300ml of beef stock.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins
- If you prefer your beef well done, add it to the sauce for the last 5 mins, or if you like your beef rare, add it for just a minute or two before the final step.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the sour cream until melted and bubbly. Add more seasoning as required, lemon juice and garnish with parsley.
- Serve with fluffy rice!