Hearty Steak Pie
This simple steak pie will warm your cockles on a Sunday afternoon served with seasonal vegetables and roast potatoes, or make a perfect mid-week treat with thick-cut chips and gravy!
- 1kg diced braising steak
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 beef stock cubes mixed with 600ml boiling water
- 375g of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- Heat the oven to 160°C.
- Heat half the oil in a large dish.
- Brown the meat in the oil and then set aside.
- Add the onions to the oil, adding more oil if needed, and cook on a low heat until browned.
- Scatter in the flour, stirring until it turns brown.
- Return the meat and any juices to the pan and stir.
- Add the stock and season to taste, bring to a simmer.
- Remove dish from the heat, and bake for 2 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Brush the rim of a 24-26cm pie dish with the egg yolk.
- Remove dish from the oven and tip the contents into the pie dish.
- Unravel pastry, drape it over the pie dish and trim and press the edges.
- Use a knife to cut a couple of slits in the centre of the pie and brush the top of the pastry with the left-over egg yolk.
- Bake pie for 40 minutes at 220°C, until golden.
- Serve and enjoy!