Lamb and Creamy Potato Hotpot
1 shoulder of lamb
1 roughly chopped onion
3 large carrots, chopped into large pieces
1 garlic bulb, halved
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 bottle red wine
2 bay leaves
Few sprigs of rosemary
Few sprigs thyme
For the topping
8 potatoes, peeled and neatly sliced into rounds
150 ml double cream
Few chunks of butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- Scatter all the vegetables and herbs into a large casserole dish and stir in the tomato puree.
- Place the lamb on top and pour over the bottle of wine. Season generously.
- Cover the dish and heat up the ingredients on top of the stove before placing in the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool and then refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, discard all hard fat from around the lamb.
- Shred the meat and discard the bones and any large pieces of fat.
- Mix the shredded meat, vegetables and jellied sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200C/ Gas Mark 6.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil, drain straight away.
- Place them back in the pan and pour over the cream. Season to taste.
- Arrange the potatoes on top of the lamb.
- Drizzle over any remaining cream and dot with butter.
- Bake for 40mins – 1 hour, until the top has turned a golden brown.