Mac and Cheese Lasagne
400g beef mince
50g smoked pancetta, chopped
250ml beef stock
150ml red wine
½ finely chopped onion
½ finely chopped carrot
½ finely chopped celery stick
1 tbsp tomato puree
400g chopped tomatoes, canned
1 crushed garlic clove
2 bay leaves
1 rosemary sprig
1 tsp sugar
80g grated mozzarella
2 tbsp olive oil
For the cheese sauce
100g parmesan, grated
100g mature cheddar, grated
800ml semi-skimmed milk
50g plain flour
2tsp English mustard
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, lidded frying pan / casserole dish and fry the mince and pancetta on a medium heat until golden.
- Transfer into a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil into the pan and fry the onion, carrot and celery for 10 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Return the meat to the pan.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Mix in the tomato puree, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, rosemary and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes and ten uncovered for a further 10 minutes until reduced.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan until foaming and stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, remove from the heat and gradually mix in the milk.
- Return to the heat and stir continuously until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add 80g of the cheddar, the parmesan, and then season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6.
- Cook the macaroni in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and stir in the cheese sauce.
- Layer the meat and macaroni mixtures alternately, finishing with a layer of the macaroni.
- Top with the remaining cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.