Mediterranean Inspired Beef Burgers
Everyone loves a burger, but one of our favourites has a Mediterranean twist. Enjoy these summery classics in under 45minutes (prep & cooking) with only a handful of steps and ingredients. Perfect for summer!
What You’ll Need
- 1 Small Courgette
- 1 Medium Onion
- 400g Lean Beef Steak Mince
- 2 Garlic Cloves (peeled & crushed)
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp Sun-dried Tomato Paste or Tomato Purée
- 1 tsp Sunﬂower Oil
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls
- 100g Reduced-fat (light) Mozzarella (well drained and cut into 4 slices)
- 2 Large Ripe Vine Tomatoes (sliced fresh basil leaves)
- Balsamic Vinegar (for drizzling)
- Fine Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Trim the courgette and grate it coarsely on to a board, then add into a large mixing bowl. Peel and grate the onion coarsely, then add this to the bowl with the courgette. Place the minced beef, garlic, oregano, basil and tomato paste or purée into the same bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Mix together with clean hands until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mince mixture into 4 evenly sized balls and ﬂatten each into a patty shape about (we aim for about 2cm thick). Brush the oil over a large nonstick frying pan and place over a low heat. Fry the burger patties gently for about 10 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through, turning them halfway through the cooking time. Preheat the grill to its hottest setting.
- While the burgers are cooking, cut the ciabatta rolls in half horizontally and place them on a grill pan, cut side up. Cook under the preheated grill until lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and take the bread oﬀ the tray and put it to one side.
- Place the hot burgers on the tray and top each one with a slice of mozzarella. Put the tray back under the grill for another 1–2 minutes or until the mozzarella has melted.
- Put the bottom half of each roll on a plate and top with sliced tomatoes and basil leaves. Add a dribble of balsamic vinegar and some black pepper. Add a sizzling hot burger, top with the remaining bread and serve right away. Serve with your choice of sides, we enjoy a selection of oven roasted summer vegetables and a handful of home cooked chips.