Romantic Valentine’s Day Steak & Fries for Two
Fancy a night in this Valentine’s Day? Enjoy a romantic meal for two with fresh fillet steak complete with healthy goulash sauce, sweet potato fries, spinach and cherry tomatoes for a healthy boost.
What You’ll Need
- 2 x 125g fillet steaks (rubbed with a little rapeseed oil)
- 250g sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into narrow chips)
- 200g bag baby spinach (wilted in a pan or the microwave)
- 3 teaspoons rapeseed oil, plus extra for the steaks
- 85g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 small onions (sliced & halved)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (diced & deseeded)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 7 and put a wire rack on top of a baking tray. Toss the sweet potatoes and thyme with 2 tsp oil in a bowl, then scatter them over the rack and set to one side until you’re ready to cook.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions, cover the pan and leave to cook for 5 mins. Take off the lid and stir – they should be a little charred now. Add and stir in the green pepper and garlic, cover the pan and cook for 5 mins more. Now the potatoes are ready to be put in the oven and bake for 15 mins.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir the paprika into the onions and peppers, pour in 150ml water and stir in the cherry tomatoes, tomato purée and bouillon. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Pan-fry the steak in a hot, non-stick pan for 2-3 mins each side depending on their thickness. Rest for 5 mins. Spoon the goulash sauce onto plates and top with the beef. Serve the chips and spinach alongside.
Share your Results with Us
If you’re thinking of trying our Fillet Steak for two recipe, then share your results with us as we’d love to see them. Get your fresh steak from Ian Barker Butchers shop in Rolleston on Dove, Burton on Trent.