Sausage, Broccoli & Chilli Tagliatelle
Once you’ve given this recipe a try, it will become one of your go-to meals. A taste sensation.
What you’ll need:
1 x broccoli floret
4 x Barker Butcher sausages
2 fresh red chillies
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
4 cloves of garlic (finely sliced)
2 onions (finely sliced)
½ a bunch of fresh oregano (15g)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes
300g dried Tagliatelle
50g Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
What to do:
- Chop the broccoli florets off the stalk, and slice the woody end off the stalk. Chop the stalk in half lengthways and add to a large pan of boiling water, along with the sausages and whole chillies. Pop the lid on, boil for 5 minutes then remove to cool. Reserve the cooking water for later.
- Once cool enough to touch, finely slice the sausages, broccoli stalk and chillies and add them to a large frying pan with the oil, fennel seeds and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir and fry until the sausage is lightly golden, then add the garlic, followed by the onions and oregano leaves a minute later. Cook for 15 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red wine vinegar (which will cook away) then add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Half fill the tin with water, swirl it around then add it to the mixture. Simmer for 15 more minutes or until thickened. Taste and season to your liking.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in the water you saved (following the packet instructions). Add the broccoli florets for the final four minutes, then drain and reserve a mug of the cooking water.
- Toss the sauce through the pasta, adding a little of the cooking water if necessary. Finally, add most of the Parmesan cheese, toss through and sprinkle over the remaining cheese once you have served up.