Sloppy Joe Orzo
500g lean ground beef
500ml beef stock
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
400g chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
85g baby spinach
Salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through and browned. Drain off the excess fat and remove from the pan.
- In same pot over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften.
- Add orzo and garlic and cook for around 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until orzo is lightly toasted.
- Add beef stock, tomato sauce, tomato puree, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and 550ml water; season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook on a simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring frequently until liquid is mostly absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Return beef to pot and add spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and beef is warmed through.