Tasty Festive Pie
This delicious (and easy) Christmas pie will make a fantastic addition to your Boxing Day buffet!
- 500g skinned sausages
- 500g boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 knob butter
- 1 beaten egg
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 100g cranberries
- 500g ready made shortcrust pastry
- 85g chopped apricots
- 50g copped chestnuts
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat the butter and half the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the sausage, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, apricots, chestnuts, thyme, onion, and cranberries to a bowl and mix together, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cut each chicken breast into three fillets, and season with salt and pepper, heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the chicken until brown.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry, and line a deep, loose-based tin. Press in half the sausage mixture and spread level, add a layer of the chicken breast, and then cover with the remaining sausage mixture.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and create a lid for the pie, pinch the edges to seal and then trim. Brush the top of the pie with the egg.
- Baked for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let the pie cool in the tin for 15 minutes, before removing and leaving to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!