Treat Mum this Mother’s Day to pulled lamb shoulder with sticky pomegranate glaze
Mother’s Day has arrived! Show her how much you care by creating this delicious meal using these simple and easy to follow steps that the whole family will enjoy – she will be wishing it is Mother’s Day every day!
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 1 lemon – quartered, pips removed
• Lamb shoulder joint
• 2 red onions, cut into wedges
• 1 litre carton pomegranate juice
• 2 tbsp honey
• 250g natural yogurt
• 100g tub pomegranate -seeds, or seeds from 1 fresh pomegranate
• Small handful mint – leaves, chopped
1. Put the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, oregano and lemon in a blender with 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp black pepper. Blend until smooth.
2. Put the lamb in a large roasting tin and tip the marinade over the top. Massage all over the lamb and if possible, leave for 24 hrs in the fridge, or up to 2 days – Remove lamb from the fridge 1 hr before cooking.
3. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/ gas 3. Scatter the onions around the lamb and pour over the pomegranate juice. Cover the lamb with foil and cook for 4 hrs.
4. Remove the foil, carefully pour the meaty pomegranate juices from the tin into a large saucepan and add the honey. Increase oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7, re-cover the lamb and continue cooking for 30 mins.
5. Meanwhile, bubble the liquid over a high heat until thick and syrupy – this may take up to 30 mins.
6. Pour the sticky pomegranate glaze over the lamb and onions and return to the oven for another 30 mins, uncovered, until the glaze is bubbling and just starting to char, and the lamb is tender.
7. Mix the yogurt, most of the pomegranate seeds and mint leaves in a small bowl.
Cut the lamb at the table and serve with the onions and the minty pomegranate yogurt. Scatter over the remaining pomegranate seeds for a tasty treat!